It’s been over a week since Gen Con 2016 and I’m still recovering a bit from late nights playing games until 1:30AM/2AM.
It was a blast! I went with a group of friends from where I live in Nebraska from the 3rd to the 7th of August. While we were about 10 minutes away from the convention center, our hotel was right next to Highway 65 and we were able to zip in with no trouble.
My big squees were Dropfleet Commander from Hawk Wargames, and the super-pre-alpha of the Battletech game from Harebrained Schemes.
I played in the Dropzone Commander tournament that Friday…and lost miserably. But was fun to play so much DZC at 1500pts.
Friday night of the convention I had the delightful opportunity to play a game of Red Dragon Inn and Dragon Flagon with Craig Gallant and Russ and Nicole Wakelin from The D6 Generation podcast, and their friend Bob. It was an awesome time! And it was great to meet face to face with a stellar podcast team that I’ve been following for over two years now.
Saturday I got the opportunity to demo Penny Arcade’s Thornwatch rpg game from Lone Shark Games. Really interesting system, and very fun! Cannot wait for the Print and Play and/or Kickstarter.
There was a lot of other great stuff, too! Almost too much to mention. Like Weta Workshop’s new mech game, and neat games like Rumble in the Dungeon by Cool Mini Or Not, and the Portal game by Cryptozoic.
And of course there was awesome cosplay. The group that dressed up as Space Wolves were on point!
Like I said, we all had a blast, though we were pretty behind on sleep. And my lifting suffered (Mah gainz!). I cannot wait to go next year!
My plan for next year will be increased game playing. The vendor hall is super cool, but I didn’t play any Battletech (one demo of Alpha Strike). And I was hoping to try out a different RPG. And definitely getting a hotel right next to the hall. This driving thing in Indianapolis is for the birds.
Until next time…
So Gen Con is just around the corner and like most people I am stoked. Weather.com shows that the weather will be mostly sunny with temps in the upper 70s/lower 80s the whole time the convention is going on. It’s going to be an awesome four days of gaming, First Exposure Playtest Hall, and Designer & Publisher Speed Dating.
What I’m Excited To See
There’s going to be a ton to see at Gen Con, and I’m sure more than there is to see in just 4 days. Note that this is my very first Gen Con. But consulting the Gen Con Exhibit Hall map and checking on other events that are available, I’ve already got a lot I want to see:
– Catalyst Game Labs: I will be haunting them. 🙂 No this is not creepy. (This is creepy.) But I cannot wait to meet their team and see all the cool stuff they have coming out. Shadowrun: Crossfire looks fun and I’d love to see/play a demo game. And of course Battletech. Duh. When in doubt, Battletech.
– Iron Wind Metals: Co-located with Catalyst Game Labs. They will probably be taking the second half of my monies.
– Corvus Belli: I’ve already pre-ordered my copy of Infinity Operation: Icestorm. But I’d love to see the other goodues they have.
– Privateer Press: ’nuff said. But rather than looking forward to just the stuff they have at the convention, I’m also heading over to The Ram for the tapping ceremony of the Everblight Ale!
– Table Forged: These guys are cool, and have a great game called Iron And Ale where you drink beer and beat the crap out of your friends. Oh there are cards to do fantasy stuff, too. 😛 But they threw down an arm wrestling challenge, and I answered it!
– Hawk Wargames: Dropzone Commander looks like an amazing game and I cannot wait to play it. I’ll be stopping by to see what they have, and maybe try my hand at a game or two.
– Mantic: Love the games these guys are putting out. Huge Deadzone fan, and already pledged for their Dwarf King’s Quest Kickstarter.
– Fantasy Flight Games: These guys are game making machines. Love their Star Wars game and may pick up a pack or two.
– Gale Force Nine: Everything I’ve heard about Firefly the Game is great! And being an ardent browncoat I wanna try my hand at it.
– Welovefine.com: Because I need a Catbug T-shirt.
– The D6 Generation: Recently started listening to their podcast and I am a huge fan already. Who knew there were people who talked about all the cool stuff I love? Gonna try to squeeze into their recording Friday with the other mob of people trying to get in. But would just like to meet ’em in general.
– The Cardboard Republic: Another great site and podcast that I instantly got addicted to, and would like to meet their team if I get a chance.
These are just a few of the companies I’m looking forward to seeing. The list is long and I have only a rough plan on how I will navigate…perhaps even astrogate this convention.
May have to break out those Delta-V calculations…
First Exposure Playtest Hall
If you haven’t already heard/read, my game Ship Strike will be debuted in the First Exposure Playtest Hall, located in ICC 107-110. If you’re there stop by and get a game in!
Schedule is as follows:
Thursday, Aug. 14: 10AM-12PM, 1PM-3PM, 5PM-7PM
Friday, Aug. 15: 3PM-5PM
I will be running two games at once, so four people can get in per time slot.
Work on Ship Strike has come along great. I’ve gotten some awesome feedback from playtests from friends, family, and the gaming group I belong to.
Probably one of the smartest thing I did was laminate the stat cards. It’s a lot of mind numbing work, but the endstate of what this is, and what it could become, drives me onward!
And So It Begins…
The final countdown to Gen Con has begun! I look forward to meeting a lot of fellow gamers and have a blast!